This post may contain affiliate links.
Please read my Disclaimer for more info.
Seriously guys, if you’re looking for more meatless options, this one is a winner. Lentil tacos are now life.
As someone who has a take it or leave it attitude towards most meat, I have been on board the “Meatless Monday” train since before I even knew it was a thing. Not only is it good for the environment as well as your wallet, but there is a whole host of health benefits to cutting out a little meat from your diet and throwing in a little more veg!
If you’re looking for more yummy veg filled recipes check out:
Since realizing I lean more towards herbivore than carnivore, I’ve been trying to sneak in meatless Monday every few days… sometimes to my husbands dismay, but hes usually a good sport;)
He’s especially a good sport when I try something I have never done… Like cook lentils! I bought them on a whim and this was the first go around. But I’m always trying to add in more fiber when I can so I figured, what the heck, I’ll give em a shot. They sat in my cupboard for an embarrassingly long time before I actually did something with them.
But for real, this recipe was a hit all around. I am OBSESSED, my 3 year old ate an entire taco (a big deal because hes not big into meat either), and my meat loving hubby said we should add it to our regular meatless meal rotation:) I’d say that’s a win.
1 small yellow onion – chopped
2 cloves garlic – minced
1 cup green lentils
~ 1 tablespoon cumin
~ 1 tablespoon chili powder
~ 1 teaspoon paprika
~ 1 teaspoon garlic powder
~ 1 teaspoon onion powder
~ 1 teaspoon oregano
***You could also use a tablespoon or 2 of premade taco seasoning. I just like to make my own!
Salt & pepper to taste
2 cups vegetable broth – or chicken if you aren’t worried about it being true vegetarian:)
1/2 a red bell pepper – chopped
1/2 can of black beans – drained & rinsed
1/2 can of corn
Shredded Colby jack cheese
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat (I used olive oil but any kind would work). Toss in the onion and garlic and cook until tender, make sure to give it a stir here and there.
- Add in the lentils and all of the spices (or premade taco seasoning!). Heat for a few minutes until the spices are nice and fragrant.
- Pour in the broth and bring everything to a boil. Once boiling, cover, turn heat to low, and simmer for roughly 25 minutes or until almost all liquid is absorbed and lentils are nice and tender.
- Remove lid, add in bell pepper, black beans, and corn. Continue cooking until mixture thickens and peppers are slightly tender. I like mine with a little crunch still, but if you like yours soft you may need to add in an extra dash of water or broth to allow them to cook a bit longer:)
- Serve them on your favorite tortilla and top with whatever makes you happy:) We did just the classic cheese, salsa, sour cream, and cilantro, and it was delicious!
If you give them a shot, leave a comment and let me know what you thought!
The Beautifully Mediocre Mama