This post contains affiliate links. Please read my Disclaimer for more info:)
If you’re anything like me, you always buy too many bananas. Like why am I such a bad judge of my family’s banana consumption on a weekly basis? It never fails that at least one or two will turn brown over night and then, god forbid, I try to feed them to anyone. Myself, I don’t mind them a little overripe, nice and sweet:) But my family won’t touch them, so into the freezer they normally go!
Lucky for us, banana bread using frozen bananas is a little piece of heaven.
I’ve used both brown bananas straight from the fruit bowl, and frozen bananas thawed from the freezer. My go to is frozen bananas, hands down. But obviously it is still delicious with regular overripe bananas as well:) After thawing they just turn into not only the sweetest bananas you’ve ever tasted, but also the juciest. And let me tell you, that banana juice, is liquid gold. It makes for the most moist banana bread I’ve ever had!
I just pull my bananas out of the freezer an hour or two before I plan on using them and set them in a colander in the sink! In a pinch, running them under warm water will thaw them pretty quickly as well:) Once they are thawed, I peel em and dump em into a big mixing bowl!
This recipe makes 2 standard 9×5 loaves of bread. However, I often give it as gifts or bring it to bake sales and it works great in mini loaf pans as well! If you’re looking for the perfect disposable ones for gift giving, I’ll link my favorites right here!
- 8 frozen/brown bananas thawed (about 4 cups mashed)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter – melted & slightly cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs – leave out before hand so they get to room temp! **If you forget to bring them to room temp just stick them in a cup of warm water for a few minutes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and make sure oven rack is in the middle!
- Mash bananas in a large bowl
- Add sugar, melted butter, & vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
- Stir in eggs and oil.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, & salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet half at a time & mix to combine. Don’t overmix!
- Spray 2 9×5 inch loaf pans OR 5-6 6×3 inch mini loaf pans with nonstick spray
- Divide batter evenly between pans
- Bake 60-65 minutes for large pans OR 45-55 minutes for smaller ones. Until golden brown and a butter knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean:) **You can easily use cupcake liners to make banana muffins as well! Just bake them for roughly 25 minutes:)
- Enjoy! Let me know if you try it, I would love to hear from you!