Banana Bread Using Frozen Bananas
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my Disclaimer for more info:)
If you’re anything like me, you always buy too many bananas. Like why am I such a bad judge of my family’s banana consumption on a weekly basis? It never fails that at least one or two will turn brown over night and then, god forbid, I try to feed them to anyone. Myself, I don’t mind them a little overripe, nice and sweet:) But my family won’t touch them, so into the freezer they normally go!
Lucky for us, banana bread using frozen bananas is a little piece of heaven.
I’ve used both brown bananas straight from the fruit bowl, and frozen bananas thawed from the freezer. My go to is frozen bananas, hands down. But obviously it is still delicious with regular overripe bananas as well:) After thawing they just turn into not only the sweetest bananas you’ve ever tasted, but also the juciest. And let me tell you, that banana juice, is liquid gold. It makes for the most moist banana bread I’ve ever had!
I just pull my bananas out of the freezer an hour or two before I plan on using them and set them in a colander in the sink! In a pinch, running them under warm water will thaw them pretty quickly as well:) Once they are thawed, I peel em and dump em into a big mixing bowl!
This recipe makes 2 standard 9×5 loaves of bread. However, I often give it as gifts or bring it to bake sales and it works great in mini loaf pans as well! If you’re looking for the perfect disposable ones for gift giving, I’ll link my favorites right here!
- 8 frozen/brown bananas thawed (about 4 cups mashed)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter – melted & slightly cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs – leave out before hand so they get to room temp! **If you forget to bring them to room temp just stick them in a cup of warm water for a few minutes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and make sure oven rack is in the middle!
- Mash bananas in a large bowl
- Add sugar, melted butter, & vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
- Stir in eggs and oil.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, & salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet half at a time & mix to combine. Don’t overmix!
- Spray 2 9×5 inch loaf pans OR 5-6 6×3 inch mini loaf pans with nonstick spray
- Divide batter evenly between pans
- Bake 60-65 minutes for large pans OR 45-55 minutes for smaller ones. Until golden brown and a butter knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean:) **You can easily use cupcake liners to make banana muffins as well! Just bake them for roughly 25 minutes:)
- Enjoy! Let me know if you try it, I would love to hear from you!
I just made your recipe tonight. I also added some blueberries to the batter. Anxious to taste! I just took then out of the oven. Look and smells delicious!! Thanks for sharing
Oh yum!! What a good idea! How did it turn out with the blueberries? Definitely tossing some in my next batch! Love hearing peoples thoughts on the recipes!
Just used your recipe. Love the results! Added some walnuts on top for a crunch
Yum! I will definitely be trying that! So glad you liked it <3
I halved the recipe (since I only had 3 frozen bananas and only one baking pan). It’s in the oven now and smells divine! I added some pecans to mine though, cause my family loves the crunch factor. Thanks for sharing!
Got these in now with chocolate chips for the kids. They look amazing!
Yay! I hope you and the kiddos enjoyed them! Chocolate chips are a common addition in our house as well 😉
Love this recipe! I’ve made it more times then I could count. I’m always throwing overripe bananas in the freezer so when I reach 8 bananas the family knows we’ll be eating banana bread. Makes everyone happy and the house smells like a bakery ever time. Thanks you for sharing.
I’m so glad your family enjoys it! It’s hard to be anything but happy with bananas bread in the oven:)
Thee very best recipe ever!! So moist and yummy.. you knocked it out of the park w/this amazing recipe. Thank you for sharing!!!
Made this and the house smells fantastic! Added walnuts, and a dash of cinnamon. Baked at 375 for less time and turned out perfect. Thanks!
So glad! I’ve never done walnuat but that is definitely going on my list of things to try!!